Monday, January 5, 2009

My First Wikram

Alright, one cannot survive here without constant vigilance (I am going to die). I took my first wikram ride today. Wikrams are a small three wheeled motorcycle/cart thing. They have are covered, and have a back that holds 6 people normally but 8 always seem be squeezed in. I always hit my head on the roof because apparently the fucking makers of these wikrams where midgets. I also almost have had my arm chopped off by cars/motorcycles/buses/wikrams flying by while I am sitting in one. There is so much to look at the store selling gold watches, a cow eating trash, a bum next to a fire in the street, the shit that I almost stepped in, that I am almost thankful that all the vehicles are blaring their horns so I don't have to see them coming. I asked Vikas (the guy who showed me to the hospital) how I know where a wikram stop is (oh yeah wikrams are like buses they have numbers and run routes) he said "This is India, there are no rules". This wasn't really an answer to my question but I think I got the jist, they are just where they are and just have to know. There are no street signs, and now that I think about it there don't seem to be blocks either(I don't know how this can be but it is true, Ill get back to you on it), anyhoo shit if fucked up, in a sweet crazy ass way.

2 comments:

  1. oh my. you've already posted twice!

    I'm picturing you in a Wikram with your long arms protruding out, thudding against all the oncoming traffic. Your arm is always broken anyway, so it probably won't be the end of the world if it ends up on the street. I've always wanted to go to India, but I'd prefer if it wasn't for your memorial service.

    Can't wait to hear about your job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine you are much larger than the average Indian guy.

    ReplyDelete